Wow, I just realized I have not been keeping up on my blog! So for those of you who have been thinking that I have been swallowed alive by homeschooling, you are right! It is more labor-intensive than I ever thought! My mom is amazing...she homeschooled my sister and I as well as working full-time. I think I would have blown a mental circuit if I had to do that. Anyway, I am working to find the rhythm in it all. Especially in the dance between me and the housework...
As for burnout, we have successfully avoided that since we decreased school hours. (Perhaps from 9-2 was a bit long for preschoolers.) Now we are 9-12, at the very most. And remember my carefully thought out unit studies, well I decided to go with something easier.
Enter, the Letter of the Week. It's not original, but boy is it a LOT easier to plan! We started off with 'A' because I am one to not think outside of the box. Begin at the beginning, you know!
However, I did throw a little something of my own into it. The ABC's of God's Character. So beginning with 'A' we have: God is Almighty. Mark 10:27 is our verse. But the hard part is explaining to preschoolers what almighty means. I came up with "God can do anything!" and that He is stronger and more powerful than anyone.
We practiced reading the word 'all' and any other words that contained it, for example: ball, tall, call, hall, mall, small, etc. And I made up a short story about a little boy who loses his ball and is looking everywhere for it. The story had all the 'all' words in it too. The boys loved it! And they remembered the words and the story.
Other ideas I have is to make lunchtime something that begins with the LOTW. Like apples for 'a'...
So God is good and faithful to bring creativity when I ask for it.
That is what we are up to right now. I'll keep you posted!
2 comments:
What creative ideas! Sound like fun! Keep up the good work!
Homeschooling is very foreign to me.LOL I could never do it! But it's wonderful that you're trying it out.
Post a Comment