How I wish my camera was working today...alas, the batteries I bought at Dollar Tree lasted about one minute before the display told me I needed to change them...boo hoo. So no pictures of the first day.
The boys adjusted to the change in schedule really well...as did their teacher....lol!
The only disruptive student was the youngest, but she really couldn't help herself. Any ideas on a way to entertain a one year old while trying to teach her older brothers???
Wishing my printer was up and running because I definitely need some coloring pages for them!
All in all, the first day has been great! They were so excited to start this morning. We opened with prayer for God to bless our day at school, and He answered. I can't wait to show Daddy what they did today!
We made weather logs and notated what today's weather was. Sunny. Illustrations of current weather too.
We read "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" during snack. And then as a God-afterthought, I recounted to them the story of the Israelites and manna. I told them that the food falling from the clouds in the book that we read was just a silly story that someone made up, but that food really did fall from the sky in the Bible. They seemed to really hang on every word of the story of manna. It gave me opportunity to discuss complaining and trusting God to meet our needs.
I love it when God steps in and throws in something good like that! :)
We learned how to write our names properly, as well as the month, day and year. We also worked on the words: one, two, three and four..because our focus on counting for the day was 1-4. We counted 1-20 and I discovered that they have 1-10 down already and just need a little help with 11-20. (Our goal for the month is to learn to count all the way up to 50). Oh, and we also worked on sounds for the letter 'a'.
Right now it is recess time, but we have to finish one more project before school's out for the day...
Today I learned that I am a great teacher and that my kids enjoy learning from me. I also learned that having a curriculum is probably a lot easier, but doesn't leave much room for God to step in and throw in a teachable moment here and there. I also learned that teaching with three kids under the age of five can be a challenge! And I found out that I really enjoy being their teacher!
4 comments:
It sounds like y'all had a wonderful day! We are starting next Monday~I am SO looking forward to teaching my 5-year old from the *beginning*! We didn't start homeschooling my oldest until 3rd grade.
What to do with baby...I have been trying to figure out exactly what I am going to do with my two little guys (3 and 1--almost 4 and 2).
I am thinking about "table time", which is something I learned from another blogger. We are going to start out with 15 minute activities--I will sit them at the table with toys (we have booster seats with buckles) while I teach our 5-year old a 15-min. lesson like the letter of the day or something.
Also, I will be turning on 30-minute Elmo or Baby Einstein movies for them to watch while we work. Our living room and breakfast room connect, so it will be easy to monitor them while they watch.
Im glad you guys are all having fun!
You should buy a sand and water table for the little one to keep her busy, well you are teaching the older ones!
Hey Girl,
I thought your computer was down and you wouldn't be blogging for a bit and here I am playing catchup! Yeah! I am so glad that your first day went so well! PTL!
Our first two days were good too...then came today! Ha! The real work hit today and so did the miseries! "I can't do it!", "It's too hard!", etc. None of which were true by the way! Oh well, this too shall pass! LOL! The most fun we had today was making a flag in the cul-de-sac with sidewalk chalk that was the size of the flag that Francis Scott Key saw on the morning he wrote the Star Spangled Banner. It was huge by the way!
I am so glad you are back on here...I know it won't be as often but please don't go away forever!
Jannak
Sounds like a great first day. We are thinking of home schooling next fall. I am excited to read about your adventures this year. Glad it is off to such a super start!
Post a Comment