
This dish brings me back to my childhood. As a family, we would go visit this hole in the wall Chinese restaurant called Kwang Chow. They may have not had the spiffiest exterior, but the service and food were excellent. Alas, I live too far away to eat there anymore, so I set about trying to find a sweet and sour sauce recipe that fit the bill. Nothing I have found is comparable to that tangy/sweet liquid. But I did find a sauce that is delicious in its own class.
This sauce is for those of you who like sweet and sour but can't stand the pineapple and peppers! :) (I cannot remember where I got it, but I think it was www.recipezaar.com)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:
Chicken (again, use however much you will need for your family)
Asian vegetable mix (mine was a steal for $1 at Albertsons!)
Homemade sweet and sour sauce:
2 T. cornstarch
1 c. brown sugar plus 1 1/2 T. brown sugar
1 c. water
1/8 c. vinegar
1/4 c. ketchup
1/8-1/4 t. soy sauce
For the sauce, mix all ingredients together well and cook until sauce starts to thicken, about 5-7 minutes on medium heat. Your sauce will start to bubble up in dark patches, this is okay, it is starting to carmelize into that wonderful delicious blend of flavors! Wait until most of it has been turned darker. Stir often to prevent burning. Once most of it is a darker shade, remove it from heat and let it sit and thicken some more.
Cook up your chicken. For some color, I like to add a bit paprika.
Steam your veggies until they turn a delicious shade of vibrant green.
Don't forget your rice..cook according to directions on the box or bag. If you want my secret ingredient for rice cooking, just look back here.
Combine all ingredients on your plate, drizzle liberally with the sauce and enjoy!
(I have no idea how much sauce this makes, but it is never enough for my family. This recipe is already doubled. For bigger families you might want to quadruple to ensure everyone gets a big serving of sauce on their plate!)
For zingier sauce you can up the level of vinegar. For sweeter, decrease the level of vinegar.
One thing I really enjoy about this meal is it is so fast to put together. I think total I spent maybe 25 minutes preparing my entire dish, from start to finish. And the results are so satisfying!
3 comments:
Mmmm....thanks for posting this recipe. Just like you I hate sweet and sour sauce with pineapple and green peppers. Pineapple is one of my favorite fruits of all time, but to me it needs no altering whatsoever, and that includes cooking it in savory dishes!
Oh and I heard back from my Dad about the perogie recipe. As suspected, they are very inexpensive to make and if you email me at kindrabirssAThotmailDOTcom I can email you the recipe.
Kindra:
I love pineapple too, but in fruit salad or just on its own. When its cooked the texture just ooks me out!
Thanks! I will email you :)
Thanks for the recipe! I look forward to trying it!
Post a Comment