Thursday, August 7, 2008

Parenting is NOT for the Faint-Hearted!

Excuse me while I go start my defibrillator...

Tonight I took Miss Precious grocery shopping with me. When we got home, Daddy picked her up and put her on the living room floor. All of a sudden I hear gagging noises emanating from that room as I put away groceries. I rush over and do a quick throat swipe and catch a small piece of clear plastic sticker. Whew..Heimlich Maneuver avoided!

I finish putting away all the groceries and start cooking up my husband's meal for lunch tomorrow. She acts hungry so I feed her. She gags again. And again. Each successive gag is more powerful than the first. I do a throat swipe again and come up with nothing. I pray over her. Another throat swipe...still nothing. She continues to gag. Fortunately, thank God, she can breathe well enough to cry with lusty lungs. I still cannot figure out what is wrong. I go wake up my sleeping hubby and ask him to pray over her, because I think she is gagging on snot. He prays, she keeps gagging. I decide to have him hold her facing the floor in the bathroom (lots of light) and I am going to swab her throat with a Q-Tip.

Let's just step away from all the drama to realize how difficult it is to get an eleven month old baby to cooperate with a throat swab...near impossible. She clamped down on it like a pit bull! I had to p-r-y open her jaws. Ok, back to the drama...

As I do another throat swab (what is this, throat swab #5?)she is face down in her Daddy's loving but so exhausted arms. She screams and then I see it! Stuck to the roof of her mouth is the other half of the CLEAR plastic sticker she had choked on earlier! Thank You LORD...and thank God it had black bold writing on it..otherwise I would have never seen it.

I swiped it out and calmed her down. No more gagging! Just even, peaceful breathing. She fell asleep within minutes.

God watches over our little ones. I shudder to think about if that piece had worked its way down...it was probably big enough to obstruct her airway. He protects us from unknown dangers.

Oh, and just as a side note, I vacuumed my whole living room earlier today. I truly don't know how a piece of clear plastic sticker ended up in my living room within reach of my very inquisitive baby girl. I can only figure that someone brought it in with their shoes. At any rate, God is faithful to reveal that which is hidden...even if it is hidden down my daughter's throat!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My toddler is a gagger! I've even thought about a first aid course for my husband and me. I MUST know the heimlech maneuver!

What a testimony of God's faithfulness! It is of the Lord's mercies that we are NOT consumed!

You know, perhaps this is just another reason why my sister-in-law will not allow shoes in her house. Oh, we've protested and moaned and whined throughout the years. But when I do my floors I often think that I should consider that. Nahhhh....don't think I could. But I truly get why she does it.

BTW....Your pic you mentioned in my comments- funny- it has always reminded me of this very pic of mine! In fact, it's partly what prompted my realizing that hubby deserves a little praise. So thanks for that!

Rena

Precision Quality Laser said...

Rena:
We have thought about going shoeless indoors, but we don't really have a mudroom to take our shoes off in. For the most part we are barefoot...why wear shoes indoors anyway? :) My husband would love for the "no shoes rule" to be initiated because he's the one who has to clean the carpets...lol!

Glad I could inspire you with the pic...it's my favorite one of us. Getting us together in the same pic and having it turn out so good is a rarity!

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

So scary! I have had a few panic moments like that where I have just praised God all night after wards and held my babies extra tight. Thankful for His hand of protection on your precious little one.

Anonymous said...

Very scary! I am so glad you could see the sticker.
:)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm--could have sworn I left an introductory comment over here the other day--now I feel my comment today looks random, LOL!

Anyways, I've enjoyed browsing your blog--nice to "meet" you!
:)Kat