Last night, we went to our local home improvement store to get some more items for the family room remodel. While standing and chatting with the cashier, I got the distinct feeling that I should invite her to our womens' conference that is coming up.
But I didn't.
Instead I rationalized those feelings away:
"She's probably working that day."
"She's probably not interested."
"She probably will get offended if I ask."
And so I smiled and wished her a good day and left. And kicked myself all the way home.
I had missed my chance. I had squandered my opportunity.
What was I so afraid of? What is the absolute worst thing that could happen if I were to invite someone to my church function?
So what if she were to get offended. Her reaction wouldn't be based on something I said but rather something she felt.
Am I afraid of being held responsible for her reaction?
How ridiculous is that?!
When does God ever hold us responsible for others' actions? No, He only holds me accountable to my own actions.
So, with new resolve and deeper insight into why I chickened out so miserably, I humbly ask His forgiveness for not obeying His quiet proddings. And knowing that He does forgive my failings, and that He will give me a second chance to make a difference in someone's life.
So rather than passing the next lady by, I am going to pass out what I have to give.
And I will leave you with a fun video my church made for the event...
2 comments:
Hi Mrs. Q -
Well that has happened to me. I vowed with renewed vigor to not let it happen again, and honestly I've done better. It has been something as simple as inviting someone to something at church, to as complicated as sharing the gospel with a relative that's lost. Now I'm trying to view every relationship and interaction as a a mission - some days are tougher than others. Even when we know the right thing to do, it can be so hard to go ahead and DO IT!!
I've posted a series this week about Jesus's seven last sayings from the cross. I've been amazed at the sense of purpose that I discovered in His words. He wants that for us too!
Anyway - this is long enough. I love women's conference time at our church. I pray yours is blessed and successful and that you are BOLD with your faith.
Oh - one more thing - I watched the lady in the check out line in front of me smile to the cashier and sweetly say "God bless you, have a wonderful Easter, and remember that Jesus died for YOU." BOLD. Not me - I said, have a nice weekend. great job...
I'm a Believer (anyway!)
Laura
I just want to say that your situation inspired me. They have been talking to us at church to step out of our comfort zone and reach out. Today, there was a girl about 15 yrs old crying while talking on the phone in front of my house carrying a back pack. I was wondering if she was running away. Well, I went back to my business...of watching an tv. A half hour later I opened my blinds to let some sun in and she was still there...just sitting! I realized that I had a choice to reach out or sit on my duff. I thought about your regrets (that we ALL have) and decided to go out and check on her. Well, as soon as I came out she got up, grabbed her bag and started walking away quickly. But I caught up to her and asked her if she needed a ride anywhere. She said, "No, thank you." Then I told her that I lived in the green house and if she needed anything she could come get me. I could tell she absolutely did NOT want to be talking to me, so I let it go at that point and she thanked me and just kept walking away. I hope she feels some comfort in knowing a stranger is concerned on her behalf. And I feel comfort that at least I tried. Thank you for reminding us that those "little" opportunities could lead to big results.
Post a Comment