(Warning: Rant Ahead)
Today, I got another one of those automated calls.
You know the ones "This is your last chance to lower the rate on your credit card. We've attempted to contact you previously..blah-blah-blah..."
In the past I would try to connect with a real person and ask to be removed from their call list. I would get hung up on. This has happened approximately five times.
So today, when I pushed the button for customer service, I played along.
"Hello. This is Kenneth in Guest Services. How can I help you today?"
"Um. I got a call from you guys saying I could lower the rate on my credit card."
"Why yes ma'am. That's true! I just need to verify your identity." He proceeds to tell me my name (Another rant for another time...WHO sends them my information????) and asks me to verify. I tell him "I don't have any credit cards." He says, "So that's your last name "Idonthavenaycreditcards?"
Can you believe he talked to a customer like that?
Because he got belligerent and smart-alecky I asked to speak with a manager. Here are his exact words:
"Well okay, but I can wait just as long as you can."
We'll see about that.
Ten minutes goes by. Fifteen. I tell him all I want to do is be removed from their call list and that I have been hung up on in the past and I am really irritated with their sales practices. He tells me that I have to verify my identity. I tell him I have no idea who THEY are and I won't, and is the manager still busy?
"I'm not going to hold my breath because I could die before the manager gets over here." He retorts.
((Click))
Wait, did he just hang up on me?!
I hope I obliterated his handle time.
(For those of you who haven't worked in a call center, the handle time is the length of time that you spend on a phone with a customer. In call centers you have to keep it low to meet performance expectations.)
I think the next time I am going to tell them that they haven't reached so-and-so but I would love see if I could lower the rate. I think I am going to think up a psuedonym and use up their precious handle time and resources. I am tired of getting bombarded by calls WHEN I DON'T EVEN HAVE A CREDIT CARD.
Oh and to just add to the extreme annoyance, those calls always come up "Unknown Number, Unknown Name" on my caller ID. So I can't even figure out who the company is!
One time when I was younger, telemarketers kept calling the house. My mom, sister and I were so tired of getting up to answer the phone and have it be a telemarketer trying to sell us something we didn't want or need. So I told my family that the next time I answered and it was a telemarketer, I was going to scream. (Most people mean it figuratively, I was so fed up I meant it literally!) The phone rang again, and you guessed it, it was a telemarketer. Well, this poor telemarketer heard the most blood-curdling scream on the line and then I hung up. We didn't get any more calls!
Maybe I should try that strategy again....
Perhaps, if the notation next to my name read : "Wacko. Don't waste your time!", I would have less annoying calls to deal with.
What would you do?
2 comments:
Wow. I googled your situation and this is a website that I got a few pointers from. I'm sure you already know about these but just in case:
http://www.ehow.com/how_14799_name-telemarketing-call.html
Love ya!
I would ask them if they were to die today, do they know where they would spend eternity? Then I would go down the Romans road with them as far as they would let me go....
Let me know if that works!
I'm a Believer!
Laura
PS - Or you can just not answer the phone
Post a Comment