So wish me luck as I delve into the wild world of companion planting, mulches and square foot gardening!
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Organic Thoughts
As I mentioned in an earlier post, lately I have been feeling the need to make our family more self-sufficient foodwise (is that even a real word?). After checking out 31 books at the library (and yes, that was all at one time) I have decided to start a garden. Produce is creeping up in cost here in the Pacific Northwest and I think I could garden cheaper. But that is not my only motivating factor. (It's really good I have more than ONE motivating factor. Alas, I am NOT a gardener, don't really enjoy getting my hands in the dirt or grass, and I end up killing just about every plant I have tried to "keep." So I need more than one thing to motivate me into a very time-consuming "hobby.") I recently read a book called "This Organic Life' by June Gussow. In it she details how truly genetically altered our produce is. After reading this, realizing that our produce nowdays is more altered and less nutritious, I decided to not only start a garden but an ORGANIC garden.
So wish me luck as I delve into the wild world of companion planting, mulches and square foot gardening!
So wish me luck as I delve into the wild world of companion planting, mulches and square foot gardening!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I too am going to do a garden as the price of everything is getting to be so much! I used to can and freeze local things so I am hoping to do that again starting this year!~Wendy
We have our own garden....it is so wonderful! (we also have our own chickens..fresh eggs!!!)
Gardening your own veggies is work..but soo rewarding!! Best of luck with it! :)
Since you have said you have not been much for gardening in the past, I would suggest starting out small at first. Baby steps.
I understand tomatoes are almost impossible to kill or mess up. Of course, I bet I could do it! LOL!
I wish you the best! It seems you are doing it for all the right reasons. You'll have to post pictures of your progress and success for us. :)
I am so very happy that you're taking the first step to being self sufficient. Our family is making changes in that direction as well. I have just planted our first garden which I call "the experimental plot" because I don't have any idea what I'm doing! LOL
But today I did see tiny little sprouts of spinach, lettuce, carrots, turnips and mustard greens! Hurray!
Wishing you the very best!
Lea
Post a Comment